If you’re interested in learning more about medical assistant programs in Mississippi, there are a variety of different certificates, diplomas and degree programs to choose from.
Medical assistants work under the direction of a physician and carry out clinical and administrative tasks like:
- Using medical software to keep track of patient’s records
- Documenting information
- Incorporating principles of customer service
- Taking medical histories
Before we get into education information for medical assistants in Mississppi, we thought you’d be interested to learn some general education information about the state.
Study At A Medical Assistant School in Mississippi, Pursue A Perfect Career For You
Colleges in Mississippi
According to the 2018 National Center for Education Statistics:
- There are 18 four-year institutions in Mississippi, compared with the national average of 56.
- There are 18 two-year institutions compared to the national average of 33.
- The national average for total male fall enrollment is 171,951 and Mississippi has 66,882.
- The total female fall enrollment in Mississippi is 106,254 while the national average is 228,592.
Do I Need a Medical Assistant Certification in Mississippi ?
While medical assistants are not required to be certified, many employers may prefer to hire someone who has earned a certification or degree in medical assisting. It is typical for medical assistants to pursue graduation from postsecondary education programs, and medical assisting programs in Louisiana are available from community colleges, vocational schools, technical schools, and universities. These programs usually lead to earning a certificate or diploma. The National Commission for Certifying Agencies accredits five certifications for medical assistants .
How Much Do Medical Assistants in Mississippi Make?
How Many Medical Assistants are in Mississippi ?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 2019 there were 3,590 medical assistants in Mississippi.
These 3k plus pros represent .32% of the states job. The median wage for medical assistants in Mississippi is $29,460. With an hourly median pay of $14.16.
What are the medical assisting job and earning statistics from Mississippi?
- There are currently 3,590 medical assistants employed in Mississippi.
- There are 2613 projected jobs by 2026, which is a 5.4% increase.
- The median annual wage for medical assistants in Mississippi is $29,460.
- The hourly mean wage is $14.16.
Where do medical assistants work?
Medical assistants usually work in physician’s offices, hospitals, clinics, and other healthcare facilities. They perform administrative and clinical tasks that involve working with patients, doctors, and other healthcare professionals.
A few hospitals in Mississippi include:
1. Mississippi Baptist Medical Center
2. North Mississippi Medical Center-Tupelo
3. Memorial Hospital at Gulfport
4. St. Dominic-Jackson Memorial Hospital
5. University of Mississippi Medical Center
What are the top metro areas in Mississippi to work in?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the metro area that pays the most is Jackson.
The 2019 median salary for medical assistants in these other metro areas is as follows:
|Metro Area||Jobs||Median Hourly Wage||Median Annual Wage|
What medical assisting professional organizations are there in Mississippi?
A professional medical assisting organization may enhance your career as a new graduate so joining may be a good option for you. The Mississippi State Society is one such organization and their website has information about upcoming meetings and events, leadership within the organization, contact information, a newsletter, and legislative news.