Study At A Medical Assistant School in Iowa, Pursue A Perfect Career For You
Interested in learning more about medical assistant programs in Iowa? This state offers a variety of:
- Degree Programs
Medical assistants, not to be confused with physician assistants, work in clinical or administrative settings or perform a variety of both. They:
- Schedule patients’ appointments
- Change bandages
- Use electronic health records (EHRs) software
- Record patients’ vitals
Before we get into education information for medical assistants in Iowa, we thought you’d be interested to learn some general education information about the state.
Colleges in Iowa
According to the 2018 National Center for Education Statistics:
- There are 44 four-year institutions in Iowa, compared to the national average of 56.
- There are 17 two-year institutions compared to the national average of 33.
- The national average for total male fall enrollment is 171,951 and Iowa has 137,809.
- The total female fall enrollment in Iowa is 212,822 while the national average is 228,592.
Do I Need a Medical Assistant Certification in Iowa?
While medical assistants are not required to be certified, many employers may prefer to hire someone who has earned a certification or degree in medical assisting. It is typical for medical assistants to pursue graduation from postsecondary education programs, and medical assisting programs in Louisiana are available from community colleges, vocational schools, technical schools, and universities. These programs usually lead to earning a certificate or diploma. The National Commission for Certifying Agencies accredits five certifications for medical assistants .
How Much Do Medical Assistants in Iowa Make?
How Many Medical Assistants are in Iowa ?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 2019 there were 4,970 medical assistants in Iowa.
These 4k plus pros represent .32% of the states job. The median wage for medical assistants in Iowa is $35,610. With an hourly median pay of $17.12.
What are the medical assisting job and earning statistics from Iowa?
- There are currently 4,970 medical assistants employed in Iowa.
- There are 4,440 projected jobs by 2022, which is a 23% increase and approximately 150 annual job openings.
- The annual mean 10th percentile wage for medical assistants in Iowa is $35,610.
- The hourly mean 10th percentile wage is $17.12.
Where do medical assistants work?
Medical assistants usually work in physician’s offices, hospitals, clinics, and other healthcare facilities. They perform administrative and clinical tasks that involve working with patients, doctors, and other healthcare professionals.
A Few Hospitals in Iowa:
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
- MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center
- Alegent Creighton Mercy Hospital
- UnityPoint Health-Iowa Methodist Medical Center
- UnityPoint Health-St. Luke’s Hospital
What are the top metro areas in Louisiana to work in?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the metro area that pays the most is Des Moines-West Des Moines.
The 2019 median salary for medical assistants in these other metro areas is as follows:
|Metro Area||Jobs||Hourly Median Wage||Annual Median Wage|
|Cedar Rapids, IA||410||$17.95||$37,340|
|Davenport-Moline-Rock Island, IA-IL||700||$15.70||$32,660|
|Des Moines-West Des Moines, IA||1,250||$17.85||$37,120|
|Iowa City, IA||470||$19.82||$41,230|
|Sioux City, IA-NE-SD||190||$15.92||$33,110|
|Waterloo-Cedar Falls, IA||250||$15.52||$32,270|
Purdue University Global
Medical Office Administration Certificate
Purdue Global’s online medical office administration program is designed to equip you with the knowledge and technical skills necessary to pursue entry-level positions in this exciting field. Coursework focuses on areas including insurance processing and fundamental medical office administrative and clerical tasks.
What medical assisting professional organizations are there in Iowa?
Searching for a professional medical assisting organization you could join in Iowa after graduation? Look no further. The Iowa Society of Medical Assistants (ISMA) is an organization where you can connect with other members and find information like helpful links, the benefits of membership, local chapters, convention listings, and even job listings. You can visit their website at http://www.iowasma.org/index.php for the above information plus more.